This versatile family meal is loaded with vegetables and freezes well, so it’s a great one to keep on standby for busy days.
Serves: 4 Prep: 00:10 Cook: 00:40
1 tablespoon(s) olive oil (extra virgin)
400 g beef mince
1 onion (brown) diced
1 carrot(s) medium, diced
2 stalk(s) celery diced
1 zucchini medium, diced
2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
250 ml tomato passata or puree
2 tablespoon(s) Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon(s) thyme (dried)
250 ml beef stock (or bone broth)
1 tablespoon(s) butter
1/4 teaspoon(s) nutmeg (ground)
salt & pepper to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR SERVE
4 cups mixed salad
1 lemon(s) juiced
sea salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan on medium heat and brown beef mince. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. In the same saucepan cook onion, carrot and celery with a pinch of salt. Cook gently for 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
3. Add zucchini, tomato paste, passata and Worcestershire, increase heat and cook for a few minutes.
4. Add beef back to the pan with herbs and stock and bring to a simmer and cook to reduce and thicken for 20-25 minutes.
5. To make mash: peel and dice potatoes into 4cm pieces. Place in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and add a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to the pan, add chopped butter and nutmeg and mash until smooth.
6. Spoon beef mixture evenly into an ovenproof dish. Cover with mash.
7. Turn the grill on to high and toast the top until golden.
8. Serve plated with mixed green salad leaves, topped with fresh lemon juice and salt.
Energy Calories Protein Fibre Fat Saturated Fat Carbs Sugar
1956.0kj 468.0cal 27.0g 7.0g 25.0g 9.0g 37.0g 10.0g
EF G GF P PR
This recipe is part of 28bysamwood