Is it Spring? Is it Autumn? Is it Winter? Brisbane isn’t sure, but if you’re feeling the half-way seasonal chill, this soup from Delicious is the perfect choice for warming up and feeling good.
You will need…
50g unsalted butter, chopped
1 leek (white part), thinly sliced
1 large potato, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1.5L (6 cups) chicken stock
800g broccoli (about 2 medium heads), chopped, plus extra shaved broccoli to serve (we used a mandoline)
1 whole barbecue chicken
1 cup firmly packed baby spinach
1/2 bunch mint, leaves picked, plus small mint leaves to serve
1 cup (240g) firm ricotta
100g blue cheese
1/2 seeded baguette, thinly sliced on an angle, toasted
1. Melt butter in a saucepan with a lid over medium-high heat. Add leek, potato and garlic. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until leek has softened. Increase heat to high, add stock, then cover and bring to the boil.
2. Add broccoli to pan and cook, covered, for 5-6 minutes or until broccoli and potato are tender.
3. Meanwhile, remove skin from chicken and shred meat, discarding bones (or freeze to use in stock), and set aside.
4. Add spinach and mint to pan and stir through until spinach wilts. In batches, transfer soup to a blender and whiz until smooth. Wipe pan clean and return soup and half the shredded chicken to pan over low heat to warm through.
5. Meanwhile, using a fork, mash cheeses together in a bowl.
6. Spread cheese mixture on toasted baguette and divide soup among bowls. Top with remaining shredded chicken and scatter with shaved broccoli and mint leaves. Serve with ricotta and blue cheese toasts.