Do you feel like you’re on an emotional rollercoaster? Are your kids regularly misbehaving, anxious or sick?
Sugar is one of the worst ingredients in the modern diet and reducing your intake could be the answer you are seeking.
Here are SOME facts about sugar:
• it can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, inability to concentrate, poor impulse control, and crankiness;
• it increases hormones that control appetite and fat-storage that cause obesity;
• it can cause insulin resistance which leads to Type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and metabolic syndrome; and
• it causes tooth decay.
Did you know?
Sugar is listed on food labels by many names, including corn syrup, dextrose, fruit juice, glucose, maltodextrin, maltose, and molasses.
How can I reduce my family’s sugar intake?
• read labels and be on the lookout for sugar in any form;
• drink water, not soft drinks or juices. This applies to adults and children;
• replace sugar with the natural sweetener, stevia in your coffee;
• eat mainly fresh, unprocessed foods;
• plan ahead and have healthy snacks and water organised; and
• know that it’s ok to say NO.
Of course, the biggest challenge is to be prepared for your children to nag and whine at first, but keep the big picture in mind. You’re trying to give them better health and a better quality of life – for the rest of their life.