Chocolate & Zucchini Cake
‘GOOD FOOD’ RECIPE FROM KRISTINA KOMADINA
It sounds like a sneaky tactic to cram in vegetables where they don’t necessarily belong, such as a delicious slice of chocolate cake, but the addition of zucchinis actually creates a wonderfully soft, moist loaf without adding extra fat by adding butter or oil. The zucchinis remain basically flavourless leaving you to sink your teeth in to a slice or two of perfectly chocolatey goodness.
Pro tip: substitute some liquid for instant coffee, it will bring out the chocolate flavour and increase its intensity.
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup neutral oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup melted dark chocolate
1 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups firmly packed grated zucchini (about 4 small zucchini)
– Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
– Place the sugars, oil, vanilla, eggs, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
– Whisk together until combined. Sift in the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and baking soda.
– Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture until just combined. Add the grated zucchini and stir through.
– Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
This recipe was adapted from Kristy Komadina via Good Food) Kristy feeds her family wholesome, nutritious and above all delicious food. Check out more of her good-for-you recipes HERE.